Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Mother's Day Brunch

I love my mother and grandmother's. I love my mother-in-law too! It's so wonderful to be able to have such loving, supportive and helpful women in my life. I am proud to be their daughter. To show them my love I decided this year I would cook for them and give them a special brunch.

After I had seen this lovely brunch set-up on OCP's blog I realized that I could create a simplified version! My mom was already in town for the weekend to arrange flowers for my cousins wedding. It was perfectly timed. And I already live next door to my grandma, like across the driveway! Here is a photo from our adjoining yard. Sadly this lilac tree is no longer here. The roots weren't strong enough to handle my 6 year old monkey.

I quickly ran to Sunflower Market to buy some fresh fruit on Friday night. I asked my mom, who was quietly reading a novel, if she could watch my two oldest while I took the little one to the store. Sadly, though, I didn't think I'd be gone more than 40 minutes while the make-ahead manicotti was baking in the oven. My mom had no idea it was in there and in my haste I forgot to look at the time when I left so I didn't call her to check on it. Needless to say now we're stuck eating dried up crusty leftovers. Such is life.

So anyway, back to the brunch. I invited my mom and grandma over along with J, my oldest daughter.

I loved the citrus theme. It felt so summery. I gave up the idea of sleeping in and woke up and got to work. This was a day that I wished I had two ovens. I thought about using my grandma's but I didn't want to to spoil my surprise!


The menu consisted of homemade quiche similar to this recipe (and I made the shell this time!), orange rolls (Rhodes with zest and glaze added), poppy seed bread and citrus drop cookies.

We ate outside on my Grandma's patio. It was perfectly warm and we had a lovely and brief time chatting and eating. Two of my favorite things to do! And with some of my best friends!





On a side note. I was messing around with Picnik and I'm not sure if I like the effects. It was a bright beautiful day but you can't really tell with the film grain effect I added. I like the vintage look to them for this particular shoot anyway. But the original photos were so bright and shadowy. What is your opinion? Do these photos still look edible? Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment