Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Indian Butter Chicken, Crock-Pot style

I am amazed! I am amazed at how GOOD this tasted. I am amazed that my food snob husband approved of this crock-pot dish. AND my children whole heartily approved too. It is so simple and yet so delicious, and for Indian food! Double whammy! This is one we'll make again and again.



I found this recipe on Pinterest from Meal Planning 101. 
Indian Butter Chicken, crock-pot style
Recipe by Lisa Kremer 
Serves 4-6, easily

4-6 boneless chicken thighs cut into bite-sized pieces. If they are really small, add more.
1 onion diced
3 cloves garlic minced
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp oil

Stir fry chicken, onion and garlic in frying pan on medium heat until the chicken has some color and the onion is translucent. Then pour entire contents of pan into crock pot. Then add:

1/2 tsp cardamom powder
2 tsp curry powder
1 tbsp curry paste **
1/2-1 tsp cayenne powder
2 tsp tandoori masala*
1 tsp garam masala*
1 can coconut milk
1 cup plain yogurt
1 5.5 fl oz can of tomato paste
Salt to taste

Mix gently and cook in slow cooker on high heat 3-4 hours or low heat for 4-6 hours. The internal temperature of the chicken should safely be 165 degrees.

Serve with basmati rice and warm naan bread. Try this sweet basmati recipe for a great combination! It certainly tastes best with the sweetness and nuttiness of basmati but if you don't have any, try sticky, long grain or even wild or brown! It'll still taste good, just not as good.
--If you don't have a local Indian restaurant that you pick your naan up from, or don't make your own, check your local grocery store. I first asked the bakery, and they did not have any. The next store I asked the Deli, where the Greek bread is shelved, and they actually had some frozen naan in the back! $3 for 2 large pieces. You just thaw it out and heat it in the oven for 2-3 minutes. And it was really delicious!

 
* If you cannot find these spices at your local grocery store, try the Specialty or gourmet grocery stores or International food markets.

**I used Patak's, like she suggested. You can see it in the photo. I liked the mild because my children were eating with us. But if you're feeling a little more adventurous, try the hot blend. You can find curry paste in some grocery stores or specialty foreign food stores. I found mine at my local Macey's (but not at Smith's) in Utah.

Print Friendly and PDF

4 comments:

  1. Ooooooh, I can't WAIT to try this, Hannah! Yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to make this- I adore Indian food, and crock pot makes it ridiculously easy! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks super yummy :) I am going to have to try it out!

    ReplyDelete